Minting America [electronic resource] : coinage and the contestation of American identity, 1775-1800 / by James Patrick Ambuske.
Ambuske, James Patrick. (författare)
Miami University (Oxford, Ohio). Dept. of History.
OhioLINK Electronic Theses and Dissertations Center.
- Oxford, Ohio : Miami University, 2006.
- Engelska , ii, 64 p.
Läs hela texten
- "Minting America" investigates the ideological and culture links between American identity and national coinage in the wake of the American Revolution. In the Confederation period and in the Early Republic, Americans contested the creation of a national mint to produce coins. The catastrophic failure of the paper money issued by the Continental Congress during the War for Independence inspired an ideological debate in which Americans considered the broader implications of a national coinage. More than a means to conduct commerce, many citizens of the new nation saw coins as tangible representations of sovereignty and as a mechanism to convey the principles of the Revolution to future generations. They contested the physical symbolism as well as the rhetorical iconology of these early national coins. Debating the stories that coinage told helped Americans in this period shape the contours of a national identity.
- Coinage -- United States -- History. (LCSH)
- Monetary policy -- United States -- History. (LCSH)
- Nationalism -- United States -- History. (LCSH)
- Early American Republic
- American Revolution
- American National Identity
- United States Coinage
- Rhetorical Iconology
- Continental Currency
- Continental Dollar
- United States Mint
- Colonial currency
- imagined communities
- American symbolism
- historical memory
- Liberty Cap
- American War for Independence
- Articles of Confederation
- paper money
- Benjamin Franklin
- Robert Morris
- Alexander Hamilton
- Thomas Jefferson
- Mint of the United States -- History.
Indexterm och SAB-rubrik
- Early American Republic American Revolution American National Identity United States Coinage Rhetorical Iconology Continental Currency Continental Dollar United States Mint Colonial currency specie imagined communities money coinage American symbolism historical memory Liberty Cap American War for Independence Articles of Confederation paper money Benjamin Franklin Robert Morris Alexander Hamilton Thomas Jefferson
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.