Friendship : a history / edited by Barbara Caine
Caine, Barbara (redaktör/utgivare)
- ISBN 9781845531973 (pb)
- London ; Equinox Pub., 2009
- Engelska xvi, 415 p.
Serie: Critical histories of subjectivity and culture
- Relaterad länk:
http://www.loc.gov/c... (Table of contents only) (Table of contents only)
- The classical ideals of friendship -- Cicero on friendship -- The Latin West -- Renaissance friendships : traditional truths, new and dissenting voices -- From Christian friendship to secular sentimentality : enlightenment re-evaluations -- Taking up the pen : women and the writing of friendship -- Class, sex, and friendship : the long nineteenth century -- New worlds of friendship : the early 20th century -- The importance of friends : the most recent past.
- "The meaning and importance of friendship have become questions of increasing interest in recent years, as declining rates of marriage and parenthood have made the family less central and friends more so in the lives of many people, particularly in the western world. Yet the history of friendship, and the ways in which it has changed its form and its meaning over time has only just begun to be discussed. Both historically and in the contemporary world, the language of friendship has not been confined to personal relationships. It is significant also in discussions or descriptions of a range of different ethical systems, social institutions and political alliances. [...] This volume aims to combine an analysis of the major classical philosophical texts of friendship and their continuing importance over many centuries with a broader discussion of the changing ways in which friendship was understood and experienced in Europe from the Hellenic period to the present. It is the result of a collaborative research project that has involved philosophers and historians with special research interests in Classical Greek philosophy and in the history of medieval and renaissance, 18th century 19th and 20th century Europe." -- Publisher's description.
- Vänskap -- historia (sao)
- Friendship -- History. (LCSH)
- BF575.F66 (LCC)
- 302.3409 (DDC)
- Oaa (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 4 bibliotek. Ange som favoritAnge som favoritAnge som favoritAnge som favorit