Irony's antics : Walser, Kafka, Roth, and the German comic tradition / Erica Weitzman.
Weitzman, Erica (författare)
- ISBN 9780810129832
- Publicerad: Evanston, Illinois : Northwestern University Press, 2015
- Engelska xi, 257 pages
- Introduction : the comic ethos -- Senses of humor : the origins of comic irony -- The playgrounds of literature : Robert Walser -- Slap happy : comic Kafka -- Bearing wit to history : Joseph Roth -- Conclusion : last laughs.
- This book marks a major intervention into the underexplored role of the comic in German letters. At the book's heart is the relationship between the comic and irony. Weitzman argues that in the early twentieth century, irony, a key figure for the German Romantics, reemerged from its relegation to "nonsense" in a way that both rethought Romantic irony and dramatically extended its reach. Through readings of works by Robert Walser, Franz Kafka, and Joseph Roth, as well as theorists of the comic such as Freud, Schlegel, Hegel, Kierkegaard, and Jean Paul, "Irony's Antics" traces the development of a specifically comic irony, a play with irony that is itself the condition for all play. It thus constitutes a significant advance in German literary history and shows how the question of the comic has been and continues to be decisive for modern thought.
- Ironi i litteraturen (sao)
- Humor (sao)
- Tysk litteratur (sao)
- Irony in literature. (LCSH)
- Comic, The, in literature. (LCSH)
- German literature -- 20th century -- History and criticism. (LCSH)
- Comic, The, in literature. (fast)
- German literature. (fast)
- Irony in literature. (fast)
- Irony in literature (LCSH)
- German literature (LCSH)
- Wit and humor (LCSH)
- 1900 - 1999 (fast)
- Analys och tolkning (saogf)
- Criticism, interpretation, etc. (fast)
- Walser, Robert, 1878-1956 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Kafka, Franz, 1883-1924 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Roth, Joseph, 1894-1939 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Kafka, Franz, 1883-1924.
- Roth, Joseph, 1894-1939.
- Walser, Robert, 1878-1956.
- Walser, Robert, 1878-1956
- Kafka, Franz, 1883-1924
- Roth, Joseph, 1894-1939
- PT405 (LCC)
- PT405 (LCC)
- 830.9180904 (DDC)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit