Cold war games : propaganda, the Olympics, and U.S. foreign policy / Toby C. Rider.
Rider, Toby C., 1970- (författare)
- ISBN 9780252040238
- Publicerad: Urbana : University of Illinois Press, 2016
- Engelska 242 s.
Serie: Sport and society, 99-1164056-6
- "The U.S. Government became increasingly alarmed by Soviet attempts to exploit the Olympic Movement in the early 1950s, and responded to this challenge aggressively. Cold War Game chronicles that response and shows that it was not a replication of the state-directed Soviet sports system, but was instigated through covert psychological warfare operations and overt propaganda distributed to the "free world." In the lead up to and during each Olympic festival throughout this period, the U.S. sent waves of propaganda material across the globe to advocate the American way of life and to denounce communism. It used the Olympic host cities as venues to advertise the American economic and political system; it also attempted to manipulate the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in clandestine ways. Cold War Games describes the emergence of government fears about communist sport in the late 1940s and, crucially, how these fears were channeled into the Olympic Games starting in 1950. It concludes its analysis in 1960 at the end point, in many ways, of covert government initiatives at Olympic festivals. Cold War Games situates sport in the larger discussion of how America was committed to a "total" Cold War by demonstrating that the Olympics Games was embroiled in the U.S. government's own cultural offensive"--
- Kalla kriget (sao)
- Utrikespolitik -- historia (sao)
- Antikommunism -- historia (sao)
- Propaganda -- historia (sao)
- Olympics -- Political aspects -- United States -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- Sports -- Political aspects -- United States -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- Sports and state -- United States -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- Sports -- Social aspects -- United States -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- Cold War -- Social aspects -- United States. (LCSH)
- Propaganda, Anti-communist -- United States -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- National characteristics, American -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- HISTORY / United States / 20th Century. (bisacsh)
- SPORTS & RECREATION / Olympics. (bisacsh)
- Olympiader -- politiska aspekter -- historia (sao)
- Idrott och politik -- historia (sao)
- Internationella relationer -- historia (sao)
- Diplomatiska förbindelser -- historia (sao)
- Diplomatic relations.
- National characteristics, American.
- Politics and government.
- Propaganda, Anti-communist.
- Social aspects.
- Social conditions.
- Sports and state.
- Olympics -- Political aspects.
- Sports -- Political aspects.
- Sports -- Social aspects.
- Cold War (LCSH)
- Förenta staterna (sao)
- United States -- Foreign relations -- Soviet Union. (LCSH)
- Soviet Union -- Foreign relations -- United States. (LCSH)
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1945-1989. (LCSH)
- United States -- Social conditions -- 1945- (LCSH)
- Soviet Union.
- United States.
- 1945-1970 (sao)
- Since 1900
- Olympiska spelen
- Cold War (1945-1989)
- GV721.5 (LCC)
- 796.48 (DDC)
- Rbv (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 4 bibliotek. Ange som favoritAnge som favorit
Ange som favorit
Uppsala universitetsbibliotek, Digitala biblioteket (Udix)Ange som favorit
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Tillgänglig för användare inom Uppsala universitet) (fulltext) (Ebook Central Perpetual, DDA and Subscription Titles)