The 10 cent war : comic books, propaganda, and World War II / edited by Trischa Goodnow and James J. Kimble.
Knapp, Trischa Goodnow (editor.)
Kimble, James J., 1966- (editor.)
- ISBN 9781496810304
- Publicerad: Jackson : University Press of Mississippi, .
- Copyright: ©2016.
- Engelska ix, 256 pages
- The Allied victory in World War II relied on far more than courageous soldiers. Americans on the home front constantly supported the war effort in the form of factory work, war bond purchases, salvage drives and morale-rallying efforts. Motivating these men, women and children to keep doing their bit during the war was among the conflict's most urgent tasks. One of the most overlooked aspects of these efforts involved a surprising initiative, comic book propaganda. Even before Pearl Harbor, the comic book industry enlisted its formidable army of artists, writers and editors to dramatize the conflict for readers of every age and interest. Comic book superheroes and everyday characters modeled positive behaviors and encouraged readers to keep scrapping. Ultimately those characters proved to be persuasive icons in the war's most colorful and indelible propaganda campaign. The 10 Cent War presents a riveting analysis of how different types of comic books and comic book characters supplied reasons and means to support the war effort. The contributors demonstrate that, free of government control, these appeals produced this overall imperative. The book discusses the role of such major characters as Superman, Wonder Woman and Uncle Sam along with a host of such minor characters as kid gangs and superhero sidekicks. It even considers novelty and small presses, providing a well-rounded look at the many ways that comic books served as popular propaganda.
- Tecknade serier (sao)
- Litteratur och samhälle (sao)
- Andra världskriget 1939-1945 i litteraturen (sao)
- National characteristics, American, in literature. (LCSH)
- Comic books, strips, etc -- United States -- History and criticism. (LCSH)
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Literature and the war. (LCSH)
- Literature and society -- United States -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- LITERARY CRITICISM / Comics & Graphic Novels. (bisacsh)
- SOCIAL SCIENCE / Popular Culture. (bisacsh)
- HISTORY / Military / World War II. (bisacsh)
- Comic books, strips, etc. (LCSH)
- Literature and society (LCSH)
- Förenta staterna
- 1900-talet (sao)
- PN6725 (LCC)
- 741.5973 (DDC)
- G.05 (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit