The many deaths of Jew Süss : the notorious trial and execution of an eighteenth-century court Jew / Yair Mintzker.
Mintzker, Yair (author.)
- ISBN 9780691172323
- Publicerad: Princeton : Princeton University Press, 
- Copyright: ©2017
- Engelska x, 330 pages
- Joseph Süss Oppenheimer -"Jew Süss" - is one of the most iconic figures in the history of anti-Semitism. In 1733, Oppenheimer became the "court Jew" of Carl Alexander, the duke of the small German state of Wurttemberg. When Carl Alexander died unexpectedly, the Wurttemberg authorities arrested Oppenheimer, put him on trial, and condemned him to death for unspecified "misdeeds." On February 4, 1738, Oppenheimer was hanged in front of a large crowd just outside Stuttgart. He is most often remembered today through several works of fiction, chief among them a vicious Nazi propaganda movie made in 1940 at the behest of Joseph Goebbels. The Many Deaths of Jew Suss is a compelling new account of Oppenheimer's notorious trial. Drawing on a wealth of rare archival evidence, Yair Mintzker investigates conflicting versions of Oppenheimer's life and death as told by four contemporaries: the leading inquisitor in the criminal investigation, the most important eyewitness to Oppenheimer's final days, a fellow court Jew who was permitted to visit Oppenheimer on the eve of his execution, and one of Oppenheimer's earliest biographers. What emerges is a lurid tale of greed, sex, violence, and disgrace - but are these narrators to be trusted? Meticulously reconstructing the social world in which they lived, and taking nothing they say at face value, Mintzker conjures an unforgettable picture of "Jew Süss" in his final days that is at once moving, disturbing, and profound.
- Rättegång (sao)
- Antisemitism -- historia (sao)
- Judicial error -- Germany -- Württemberg -- 18th century.
- Criminal justice, Administration of -- Germany -- Württemberg -- 18th century.
- Antisemitism -- Germany -- Württemberg.
- Trials (LCSH)
- Tyskland -- Württemberg (sao)
- 1700-talet (sao)
- Biografi (saogf)
- Oppenheimer, Joseph ben Issachar Suesskind
- DD801.W739 (LCC)
- D250 (LCC)
- 943.052092 (DDC)
- Kf (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit