War on peace : the end of diplomacy and the decline of American influence / Ronan Farrow.
Farrow, Ronan, 1987- (författare)
- ISBN 9780393652109
- First edition.
- Publicerad: New York, NY : W.W. Norton & Company, 
- Engelska xxxiii, 392 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates
- Prologue: mahogany row massacre -- The last diplomats -- Shoot first, ask questions never -- Present at the destruction -- Epilogue: the tool of first resort.
- Prologue: Mahogany Row massacre -- Part I: The last diplomats. American myths ; Lady Taliban ; Dick ; The mango case ; The other Haqqani network ; Duplicity ; The frat house ; Mission: impossible ; Walking on glass ; Farmer Holbrooke ; A little less conversation ; A-Rod ; Promise me you'll end the war ; The wheels come off the bus ; The memo ; The real thing -- Part II: Shoot first, ask questions never. General rule ; Dostum: he is telling the truth and discouraging all lies ; White beast ; The shortest spring ; Midnight at the ranch -- Part III: Present at the destruction. The state of the Secretary ; The mosquito and the sword ; Meltdown -- Epilogue: The tool of first resort.
- The journalist and former U.S. State Department official explores the decline of American diplomacy and traditional statecraft, the abdication of global leadership, and how the work of peacemaking has been taken over by the military-industrial complex.
- "A harrowing exploration of the collapse of American diplomacy and the abdication of global leadership. US foreign policy is undergoing a dire transformation, forever changing America's place in the world. Institutions of diplomacy and development are bleeding out after deep budget cuts; the diplomats who make America's deals and protect its citizens around the world are walking out in droves. Offices across the State Department sit empty, while abroad the military-industrial complex has assumed the work once undertaken by peacemakers. We're becoming a nation that shoots first and asks questions later. In an astonishing journey from the corridors of power in Washington, DC, to some of the most remote and dangerous places on earth--Afghanistan, Somalia, and North Korea among them--acclaimed investigative journalist Ronan Farrow illuminates one of the most consequential and poorly understood changes in American history. His firsthand experience as a former State Department official affords a personal look at some of the last standard bearers of traditional statecraft, including Richard Holbrooke, who made peace in Bosnia and died while trying to do so in Afghanistan. Drawing on newly unearthed documents, and richly informed by rare interviews with warlords, whistle-blowers, and policymakers--including every living secretary of state from Henry Kissinger to Hillary Clinton to Rex Tillerson--[this book] makes a powerful case for an endangered profession. Diplomacy, Farrow argues, has declined after decades of political cowardice, shortsightedness, and outright malice--but it may just offer America a way out of a world at war."--Dust jacket.
- Diplomati (sao)
- Diplomatiska förbindelser (sao)
- Diplomacy. (LCSH)
- Diplomacy (LCSH)
- Foreign relations (LCSH)
- United States -- Foreign relations -- 21st century. (LCSH)
- United States -- Foreign relations administration. (LCSH)
- Förenta staterna
- 2000-talet (sao)
- Förenta staterna. Department of State
- JZ1480 (LCC)
- 327.73 (DDC)
- Ob (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 3 bibliotek. Ange som favoritAnge som favorit