J.R.R. Tolkien's double worlds and creative process : language and life / Arne Zettersten.
- Zettersten, Arne, 1934-2015 (författare)
Alternativt namn: Zettersten, A. (Arne), 1934-2015
- ISBN 9780230623149
- Publicerad: New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2011
- Engelska xi, 243 pages
- Our first meeting -- Language behind everything -- Like lightning from a clear sky -- Tolkien's double worlds -- Middle-earth -- From Bloemfontein to Birmingham -- From Sarehole to Shire -- An orphan drawn to reading -- Student life in Oxford -- Soldier at the front -- Experience of war in Tolkien's fiction -- Research as motor -- Interlude at Leeds -- Interplay between research and fiction -- A don on a sidetrack -- The AB language: a unique discovery -- Fantasy: for children and adults -- The final years -- Facts and fiction -- On the truth of myth -- The reception of The Lord of the Rings in the world -- New media.
- "A close colleague of J.R.R. Tolkien for many years, Arne Zettersten offers here a personally informed analysis of Tolkien's strongly visual fantasy fiction. In light of Tolkien's unusual life experience and enthusiasm for the study of languages, Zettersten finds in Tolkien's fiction the same animating passions that drove that great author as a youth, a soldier, a linguist, and an Oxford Don"--
- "A Swedish linguist, Professor Arne Zettersten, worked and published within the same project as Tolkien to edit the various manuscripts of the Ancrene Wisse for the Early English Text Society, Oxford. The situation is unique in that Zettersten acquired first hand knowledge of how Tolkien related to languages, university studies and both scholarly and fictional writing. The book is a new comprehensive reading and analysis of Tolkien's strongly visualizing fantasy fiction, here examined in relation to his scholarly research in its totality and his unusual life experience. Into this new reading Zettersten weaves his memories of the linguistic equilibrist who spoke, wrote and reconstructed living, dead and invented languages. Zettersten approaches Tolkien's creative process through a review of his life within his near-simultaneous, different worlds. These were characterized by changes between his primary, real world, and his secondary, fictional world, between research and fantasy, between evil and humanity, in fiction as in real life"--
- Engelsk fantasy (litteratur) (sao)
- Språk i litteraturen (sao)
- Engelsk litteratur -- historia (sao)
- Language and languages in literature. (LCSH)
- Fantasy literature, English -- History and criticism. (LCSH)
- Fantasy literature, English. (fast)
- Language and languages. (fast)
- Language and languages in literature. (fast)
- Linguïstiek. (gtt)
- LITERARY CRITICISM -- European -- English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh. (bisacsh)
- LITERARY CRITICISM -- General. (bisacsh)
- Language and languages in literature (LCSH)
- Fantasy fiction, English (LCSH)
- Analys och tolkning (saogf)
- Criticism, interpretation, etc. (fast)
- Tolkien, J. R. R. (John Ronald Reuel), 1892-1973 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Tolkien, J. R. R. (John Ronald Reuel), 1892-1973 -- Knowledge -- Language and languages.
- Tolkien, J. R. R. (John Ronald Reuel), 1892-1973.
- Tolkien, John Ronald Reuel.
- Tolkien, John Ronald Reuel -- Sprache.
- Tolkien, J. R. R. (John Ronald Reuel), 1892-1973
- PR6039.O32 (LCC)
- PR6039.O49 (LAC)
- 823/.912 (DDC)
- LIT004120 (bisacsh)
- 18.05 (bcl)
- 17.01 (bcl)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit