Beneath the tamarind tree : a story of courage, family, and the lost schoolgirls of Boko Haram / Isha Sesay.
Sesay, Isha, 1976- (author.)
- ISBN 9780062686671
- First edition.
- Publicerad: New York, NY : Dey St., an imprint of William Morrow, 
- Copyright: ©2019
- Engelska 382 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates
- The host of "CNN Newsroom Live" presents a definitive account of Boko Haram's 2014 abduction of two hundred seventy-six Chibok schoolgirls, sharing first-person insights based on the author's escape with twenty-one survivors.
- The first definitive account of the lost girls of Boko Haram and why their story still matters--by celebrated international journalist Isha Sesay. In the early morning of April 14, 2014, the militant Islamic group Boko Haram violently burst into the small town of Chibok, Nigeria, and abducted 276 girls from their school dorm rooms. From poor families, these girls were determined to make better lives for themselves, but pursuing an education made them targets, resulting in one of the most high-profile abductions in modern history. While the Chibok kidnapping made international headlines, and prompted the #BringBackOurGirls movement, many unanswered questions surrounding that fateful night remain about the girls' experiences in captivity, and where many of them are today. In Beneath the Tamarind Tree, Isha Sesay tells this story as no one else can. Originally from Sierra Leone, Sesay led CNN's Africa reporting for more than a decade, and she was on the front lines when this story broke. With unprecedented access to a group of girls who made it home, she follows the journeys of Priscilla, Saa, and Dorcas in an uplifting tale of sisterhood and survival. Sesay delves into the Nigerian government's inadequate response to the kidnapping, exposes the hierarchy of how the news gets covered, and synthesizes crucial lessons about global national security. She also reminds us of the personal sacrifice required of journalists to bring us the truth at a time of growing mistrust of the media. Beneath the Tamarind Tree is a gripping read and a story of resilience with a soaring message of hope at its core, reminding us of the ever-present truth that progress for all of us hinges on unleashing the potential of women.
- Terrorism -- Nigeria. (LCSH)
- Terrorists -- Nigeria. (LCSH)
- Abduction -- Nigeria. (LCSH)
- Schoolgirls -- Crimes against -- Nigeria. (LCSH)
- Girls -- Crimes against -- Nigeria. (LCSH)
- Kidnapping victims -- Nigeria. (LCSH)
- Islamic fundamentalism -- Nigeria. (LCSH)
- Abduction. (fast)
- Islamic fundamentalism. (fast)
- Kidnapping victims. (fast)
- Terrorism. (fast)
- Terrorists. (fast)
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY -- Personal Memoirs. (bisacsh)
- POLITICAL SCIENCE -- Human Rights. (bisacsh)
- POLITICAL SCIENCE -- World -- African. (bisacsh)
- Girls -- Crimes against. (fast)
- Nigeria. (fast)
- Nigeria -- History. (sears)
- Biographies. (lcgft)
- Boko Haram.
- HV6433.N62 (LCC)
- 363.32509669 (DDC)
- Oclb (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit