Law's trials : the performance of legal institutions in the US "War on Terror" / Richard L. Abel.
Abel, Richard L. (author.)
- ISBN 9781108555227
- Publicerad: Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2018
- Engelska 1 online resource (xxi, 830 pages)
Serie: Cambridge studies in law and society
- Relaterad länk:
https://doi.org/10.1... (Table of contents / Abstracts)
- The US 'war on terror' has repeatedly violated fundamental rule of law values. When executive and legislature commit such egregious wrongs, courts represent the ultimate defense. Law's Trials: The Performance of Legal Institutions in the US 'War on Terror' offers the first comprehensive account of judicial performance during the 16 years of the Bush and Obama administrations. Abel examines criminal prosecutions of alleged terrorists, courts martial of military personnel accused of law of war violations, military commission trials of 'high value detainees', habeas corpus petitions by Guantánamo detainees, civil damage actions by victims of both the 'war on terror' and terrorism, and civil liberties violations by government officials and Islamophobic campaigners. Law's Trials identifies successful defenses of the rule of law through qualitative and quantitative analyses, comparing the behavior of judges within and between each category of cases and locating those actions in a comparative history of efforts to redress fundamental injustices.
- War on Terrorism, 2001-2009. (LCSH)
- Terrorism -- Prevention -- Law and legislation -- United States. (LCSH)
- Rule of law -- United States. (LCSH)
- Civil rights -- United States. (LCSH)
- Prisoners of war -- Civil rights -- Cuba -- Guantánamo Bay Naval Base. (LCSH)
- Detention of persons -- United States. (LCSH)
- Habeas corpus -- United States. (LCSH)
- KF9430 (LCC)
- 344.7305/325 (DDC)
- Oe (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Stockholms universitetsbibliotek, Digitala resurser (Hdig)Ange som favorit
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Tillgänglig för användare inom Stockholms universitet) (Cambridge eBooks and Partner Presses: All Books:Full Text)