The complexity of success [Elektronisk resurs] : the U.S. role in Russian rule of law reform / Matthew J. Spence.
Spence, Matthew John, 1978- (författare)
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.
Alternativt namn: Carnegie Endowment
Alternativt namn: Dotation Carnegie pour la paix internationale
- Washington, D.C. : Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, 2005.
- Engelska 19 p.
Serie: Rule of law series
Serie: Carnegie papers ; no. 60
Läs hela texten
- "In the 1990s, the United States sought to promote the rule of law in many parts of the former Soviet Union and beyond, often with little success. Yet in 2001, Russia adopted a liberal new Criminal Procedure Code and introduced jury trials after nearly a decade of U.S. rule-of-law assistance that supported precisely these steps. How did U.S. policy contribute to this reform? Why did these reforms succeed while others failed? In this new Carnegie Paper, Matthew J. Spence argues that Western assistance should focus on catalyzing domestic reform, a strategy that has received little attention to date. He argues that reform can be successful when two conditions are present: first, a policy entrepreneur who favors reform and enjoys some political space to make efforts reality; and second, a plan to implement reforms already part of the policy debate."--Carnegie Endowment web site.
- Law reform -- Russia (Federation) (LCSH)
- Rule of law -- Russia (Federation) (LCSH)
- United States -- Foreign relations -- Russia (Federation) (LCSH)
- Russia (Federation) -- Foreign relations -- United States. (LCSH)
- Russia (Federation) -- Politics and government -- 1991- (LCSH)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit