The sensation novel and the Victorian family magazine [Elektronisk resurs] / Deborah Wynne.
Wynne, Deborah. (författare)
- ISBN 9780230596726
- Publicerad: Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2001
- Engelska 216 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- List of Illustrations Acknowledgements Tantalizing Portions: Serialized Sensation Novels and Family Magazines Wilkie Collins's The Woman in White in All The Year Round Ellen Wood's East Lynne in the New Monthly Magazine Charles Dickens's Great Expectations in All The Year Round Illustrations Wilkie Collins's No Name in All The Year Round Mary Elizabeth Braddon's Eleanor's Victory in Once a Week Charles Reade's Very Hard Cash in All The Year Round Wilkie Collins's Armadale in The Cornhill Magazine Conclusion-- Victorian Novels and the Periodical Press Appendix Bibliography Endnotes Index.
- Victorian sensation novels, with their compulsive plots of crime, transgression and mystery, were bestsellers. Deborah Wynne analyses the fascinating relationships between sensation novels and the magazines in which they were serialized. Drawing upon the work of Wilkie Collins, Mary Braddon, Charles Dickens, Ellen Wood, and Charles Reade, and such popular family journals as All The Year Round, The Cornhill, and Once a Week, the author highlights how novels and magazines worked together to engage in the major cultural and social debates of the period.
- '...offers significant new insights into the sensation novel and the process of serial publication.' - Choice 'The point of Deborah Wynne's persuasive book...is to remind us of how much is to be learned from looking at Victorian fiction in its earliest context.' - The Times Literary Supplement 'I suspect that this will become a standard work on Victorian sensationalism.' - Andrew Elfenbein, Studies in English Literature 'The point of Deborah Wynne's persuasive book, The Sensation Novel and the Victorian Family Magazine, is to remind us of how much is to be learned from looking at Victorian fiction in its earliest context. ...[She] draws an instructive picture of the relation between these racy narratives and the journals that publ.
- Sensationalism in literature. (LCSH)
- English fiction -- History and criticism -- 19th century. (LCSH)
- Periodicals -- Publishing -- History -- 19th century -- Great Britain. (LCSH)
- Books and reading -- History -- 19th century -- Great Britain. (LCSH)
- English periodicals -- History -- 19th century. (LCSH)
- Serial publication of books -- History -- 19th century. (LCSH)
- Literature. (eflch)
- Literary studies: c 1800 to c 1900 -- English. (bicssc)
- Literary studies: fiction, novelists & prose writers -- English. (bicssc)
Indexterm och SAB-rubrik
- English fiction
- DSBF (ämneskategori)
- DSK (ämneskategori)
- LIT (ämneskategori)
- 823.809 (DDC)
Titeln finns på 2 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Stockholms universitetsbibliotek, Digitala resurser (Hdig)Ange som favorit
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Tillgänglig för användare inom Stockholms universitet) (SpringerLink Books - AutoHoldings:Full Text)
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, E-resurser (Tdig)Ange som favorit
Bibliotekets lokala katalogTillgång för KTH Biblioteket
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Online access for KTHB) (fulltext) (Springer)