Statesmanship, character, and leadership in America [Elektronisk resurs] / Terry Newell.
Newell, Terry. (författare)
- ISBN 9781137084729
- Publicerad: Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012
- Engelska 300 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- Washington Steps Down: The Farewell Address The Electoral Crisis of 1801: Jefferson's First Inaugural: Healing the Wounds of Civil War: Lincoln's Second Inaugural The Struggle for Woman Suffrage: The Arrest and Trial of Susan B. Anthony Saving Post-War Europe (and America): The Marshall Plan Speech The Movement in Crisis: King's Letter from Birmingham Jail Constitutional Crisis: Ford Assumes the Presidency and Pardons Nixon Fostering Statesmanship in Public Life.
- Newell examines noted Americans at seven critical turning points in American history to look at what it takes to be a statesman.Through a powerful speech and the events preceding and following it, they show us how they grappled with conflicting values, varying demands, and the uncertainties of trying to forge a good society. -- As Americans face seemingly intractable problems, they are tired of "business as usual" and "politics as usual." They are looking for statesmanship. In this book, Newell examines noted Americans at seven critical turning points in American history to look at what it takes to be a statesman. Through a powerful speech and the events preceding and following it, they show us how they grappled with conflicting values, varying demands, and the uncertainties of trying to forge a good society. This book is aimed at practicing leaders - and students of leadership.
- 'In this imaginative, interesting, and well-written work, Newell identifies key speeches in the leadership careers of key leaders in American history, a unique vantage point so far as I know. The author tells a good story, and has a firm grasp on the leadership literature and a solid grasp of the historical literature. The author wisely uses the C's (context, challenge, character, competence, and consequences) to make sense of the cases. Not only is the approach unique, it also appeals to how we innately learn, though dramatic stories about conflicts and tradeoffs.' - Robert Anthony Maranto, 21st Century Chair in Leadership, Department of Education Reform, University of Arkansas, USA 'Terry Newell makes a truly outstanding contribution to the leadership field at a time of crisis in our nation's capital due to lack of 'statesmanship, character and leadership in America.' His use of history is invaluable.' - David Abshire, president, Center for the Study of the Presidency and Congress, USA.
- Political leadership -- History -- United States. (LCSH)
- Character -- Political aspects -- History -- United States. (LCSH)
- Political culture -- History -- United States. (LCSH)
- Politics and Government. (eflch)
- Comparative politics -- USA. (bicssc)
- Political leaders & leadership -- USA. (bicssc)
- Washington, George, 1732-1799.
- Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826.
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865.
- Anthony, Susan B., 1820-1906.
- Marshall, George C. (George Catlett), 1880-1959.
- King, Martin Luther, Jr. 1929-1968.
- Ford, Gerald R., 1913-2006
- JPB (ämneskategori)
- JPHL (ämneskategori)
- POL (ämneskategori)
- 324.220973 (DDC)
- Oc.06 (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 2 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Ange som favorit
Stockholms universitetsbibliotek, Digitala resurser (Hdig)Ange som favorit
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Tillgänglig för användare inom Stockholms universitet) (SpringerLink Books - AutoHoldings:Full Text)
Lunds universitets bibliotek, Digitala resurser (Ldix)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Utlånad?Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Online access for Lund University) (Palgrave Political & Intern. Studies Collection 2012)