Villa Victoria : the transformation of social capital in a Boston barrio / Mario Luis Small.
Small, Mario Luis. (författare)
- ISBN 0226762912
- Publicerad: Chicago : University Of Chicago Press, ©2004.
- Engelska xx, 226 pages
- Relaterad länk:
http://catdir.loc.go... (Table of contents)
http://catdir.loc.go... (Contributor biographical information)
http://catdir.loc.go... (Publisher description)
- How does neighborhood poverty affect social capital? -- Villa Victoria and Boston's South End -- The rise and decline of local participation, part 1 : social organization theory -- The rise and decline of local participation, part 2 : cohorts and collective narratives -- The ecology of group differentiation -- Social capital and the spatialization of resources -- A labyrinth of loyalties -- Social capital in poor neighborhoods.
- For decades now, scholars and politicians alike have argued that the concentration of poverty in city housing projects would produce distrust, alienation, apathy, and social isolation--the disappearance of what sociologists call social capital. But relatively few have examined precisely how such poverty affects social capital or have considered for what reasons living in a poor neighborhood results in such undesirable effects. This book examines a neglected Puerto Rican enclave in Boston to consider the pros and cons of social scientific thinking about the true nature of ghettos in America. Mario Luis Small dismantles the theory that poor urban neighborhoods are inevitably deprived of social capital. He shows that the conditions specified in this theory are vaguely defined and variable among poor communities. According to Small, structural conditions such as unemployment or a failed system of familial relations must be acknowledged as affecting the urban poor, but individual motivations and the importance of timing must be considered as well. Brimming with fresh theoretical insights, Villa Victoria is an elegant work of sociology that will be essential to students of urban poverty.
- Socialt kapital (sao)
- Social integration (sao)
- Socialt samspel (sao)
- Socialekologi (sao)
- Fattiga (sao)
- Puertoricaner (sao)
- Social capital (Sociology) -- Massachusetts -- Boston. (LCSH)
- Social participation -- Massachusetts -- Boston. (LCSH)
- Social ecology -- Massachusetts -- Boston. (LCSH)
- Poor -- Social networks -- Massachusetts -- Boston. (LCSH)
- Puerto Ricans -- Massachusetts -- Boston -- Social conditions. (LCSH)
- Poor (lcsh)
- Social capital (Sociology) (lcsh)
- Social participation (lcsh)
- Social ecology (lcsh)
- Social integration (lcsh)
- Puerto Ricans (lcsh)
- South End (Boston, Mass.) -- Social conditions. (LCSH)
- HN80.B7 (LCC)
- 302.140974461 (DDC)
- 71.14 (bcl)
- MS 1870 (rvk)
- Oaa (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Linköpings universitetsbibliotek (Li)Ange som favorit
Utlånad?Öppettider, adress m.m.
Placering: CNB REF KURS 302