Immigration detention [Elektronisk resurs] the migration of a policy and its human impact / edited by Amy Nethery and Stephanie J. Silverman.
Nethery, Amy (redaktör/utgivare)
Silverman, Stephanie Jessica, 1982- (redaktör/utgivare)
- ISBN 9781317613916
- Publicerad: London ; Routledge, 2015
- Copyright: ©2015
- Engelska 1 online resource (167 pages)
Serie: Routledge series on global order studies ; 6
- Understanding immigration detention and its human impact -- 1. 'A proud tradition'? Immigration detention in the United Kingdom -- 2. Guarding the external border: immigration detention in the Netherlands -- 3. Games of law and repression: immigration detention in France -- 4. Balancing control with rights: immigration detention in Finland -- 5. Fortifying the European Union? Immigration detention in Malta and Cyprus -- 6. At the border of 'Fortress Europe': immigration detention in Turkey -- 7. Detention of asylum seekers en masse: immigration detention in the United States -- 8. Not so short and sweet: immigration detention in Canada -- 9. Evolution towards higher standards of human rights: immigration detention in Mexico -- 10. Breaching international law: immigration detention in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba -- 11. Mandatory, non-reviewable, indefinite: immigration detention in Australia -- 12. At the discretion of management: immigration detention in Indonesia -- 13. Illegality and its uncertainties: immigration detention in Malaysia -- 14. Australian neo-colonialism in the Pacific: immigration detention in Papua New Guinea -- 15. The expansion of illegality: immigration detention in South Africa -- 16. The union of securitisation and demography: immigration detention in Israel.
- "Before the turn of the century, few states used immigration detention. Today, nearly every state around the world has adopted immigration detention policy in some form. States practice detention as a means to address both the accelerating numbers of people crossing their borders, and the populations residing in their states without authorisation. This edited volume examines the contemporary diffusion of immigration detention policy throughout the world and the impact of this expansion on the prospects of protection for people seeking asylum. It includes contributions by immigration detention experts working in Australasia, the Americas, Europe, Africa and the Middle East. It is the first to set out a systematic comparison of immigration detention policy across these regions and to examine how immigration detention has become a ubiquitous part of border and immigration control strategies globally. In so doing, the volume presents a global perspective on the diversity of immigration detention policies and practices, how these circumstances developed, and the human impact of states exchanging individuals' rights to liberty for the collective assurance of border and immigration control. This text will be of key interest to scholars, students and practitioners of immigration, migration, public administration, comparative policy studies, comparative politics and international political economy"--Provided by publisher.
- Immigration (sao)
- Illegal aliens -- Government policy -- United States. (LCSH)
- Detention of persons -- United States. (LCSH)
- Emigration and immigration (LCSH)
- Förenta staterna (sao)
- United States -- Emigration and immigration -- Government policy. (LCSH)
- JV6483 (LCC)
- SOC (ämneskategori)
- 364.1370973 (DDC)
- Oer (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 3 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Ange som favorit
Stockholms universitetsbibliotek, Digitala resurser (Hdig)Ange som favorit
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Tillgänglig för användare inom Stockholms universitet) (Taylor & Francis eBooks Complete:Full Text)
Ange som favorit
Linköpings universitetsbibliotek (Li)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Utlånad?Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Extern tillgång endast anställda och studenter vid LiU)
Göteborgs universitetsbibliotek, E-resurser (Gdix)Ange som favorit
Bibliotekets lokala katalogFind@GU
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Tillgänglig för Göteborgs universitet / Online access for the University of Gothenburg) (Taylor & Francis eBooks Complete:Full Text)