Contradictions of terrorism : security, risk and resilience / Sandra Walklate and Gabe Mythen.
Walklate, Sandra, (author.)
Mythen, Gabe, (joint author.)
- ISBN 978-0-415-62652-1 (hardback)
- Publicerad: Abingdon, Oxon ; Routledge, 2015.
- Engelska 194 pages
Serie: New directions in critical criminology ; 7
- Over the last fifteen years there has been a significant growth in literature dealing with terrorism. Nevertheless, scholars within mainstream criminology have only recently begun to grapple with the problem of terrorism in a sustained fashion. In this provocative book the authors provide both an exposition of the contradictions that have emerged around the regulation of terrorism and an incisive analysis of the questions that the management of terrorism poses for the discipline. Focusing primarily on the processes and practices that have emerged in the United States and the United Kingdom, the book provides a critical account of the political construction, mediation and regulation of terrorist threat since the events of 9/11. The authors explore the ways in which new institutional modes of risk assessment based on the principle of pre-emption have impacted on individuals targeted by them. Noting the dilemmas produced by the pre-emptive turn, the authors also elucidate more recent moves to develop the idea of resilience in counter-terrorism and security policy. This book will be suitable for academics and students interested in political violence, terrorism, geopolitics and risk, as well as for practitioners and experts working in the security industries.
- Terrorismbekämpning (sao)
- Nationell säkerhet (sao)
- Terrorism -- Prevention. (LCSH)
- Internal security. (LCSH)
- National security. (LCSH)
- War on Terrorism, 2001-2009. (LCSH)
- Internal security. (fast)
- National security. (fast)
- Terrorism -- Prevention. (fast)
- Terrorism -- Prevention (LCSH)
- 2001 - 2009 (fast)
- War on Terrorism (2001-2009)
- 363.325 (DDC)
- Oclb (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit