Reinharz, Jehuda: Derekh le-Sepṭember 1939.
The road to September 1939 : Polish Jews, Zionists, and the Yishuv on the eve of World War II / Jehuda Reinharz and Yaacov Shavit ; translated by Michal Sapir.
Reinharz, Jehuda (författare)
Shaviṭ, Yaʻaḳov, 1944- (författare)
- ISBN 9781512601534
- Publicerad: Waltham, Massachusetts : Brandeis University Press, 
- Engelska xix, 408 pages
Serie: The Tauber Institute series for the study of European Jewry
- Preface: "The Birds Left Early" -- "A Million Superfluous Jews" -- and More -- "The Dream of a Jewish State" -- "The Wailing Wall in Évian" and Kristallnacht -- Funeral March at St. James's Palace: "They Betrayed Czechoslovakia, Why Should They Not Betray Us as Well?" -- A Bridge Over the White Paper? -- The Forgotten Congress (Geneva, August 16-25, 1939) -- Will War Break Out? -- "So early, no one has seen death yet" -- Epilogue.
- "How the Zionist movement and the Yishuv actively sought to help Polish and other European Jews in the 1930s In European and Holocaust historiography, it is generally believed that neither the Zionist movement nor the Yishuv, acting primarily out of self-interest, energetically attempted to help European Jews escape the Nazi threat. Drawing on the memoirs, letters, and institutional reports of Chaim Weizmann, Zeev Jabotinsky, David Ben-Gurion, and many others, this volume sheds new light on a troubled period in Jewish history. Reinharz and Shavit trace Jewish responses to developments in Eastern and Central Europe to show that—contrary to recent scholarship and popular belief—Zionists in the Yishuv worked tirelessly on the international stage on behalf of their coreligionists in Europe. Focusing particularly on Poland, while explicating conditions in Germany and Czechoslovakia as well, the authors examine the complicated political issues that arose not just among Jews themselves, but also within national governments in Britain, Europe, and America. Piercing to the heart of conversations about how or whether to save Jews in an increasingly hostile Europe, this volume provides a nuanced and thoughtful assessment of what could and could not be achieved in the years just prior to World War II and the Holocaust"--
- Förintelsen (sao)
- Sionism (sao)
- Judar -- historia (sao)
- Zionism. (LCSH)
- Jews -- Poland -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- Jews -- Europe -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Poland. (LCSH)
- Jews. (fast)
- Zionism. (fast)
- Zionism -- History -- 20th century.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) (LCSH)
- Europe. (fast)
- Europa (sao)
- Polen (sao)
- Poland. (fast)
- Eretz Israel -- History -- 1917-1948, British Mandate period.
- 1900-1999 (fast)
- History. (fast)
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)
- DS134.55 (LCC)
- 305.892/4043809043 (DDC)
- Koafh (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit