Churches, blackness, and contested multiculturalism : Europe, Africa, and North America / edited by R. Drew Smith, William Ackah and Anthony G. Reddie.
Smith, R. Drew, 1956- (redaktör/utgivare)
- ISBN 9781137411655
- Publicerad: New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2014
- Engelska ix, 294 pages
Serie: Black religion/womanist thought/social justice
- Anti-black problematics in imperial and contemporary British Christianity / Anthony G. Reddie -- Historical and contemporary perspectives on multiculturalisms and black Christianities in Canada / Carol B. Duncan -- The changing roles of women in the church : a case study of women in Calabar, Nigeria, 1900-2000 / Ekwutosi Essien Offiong -- William Stuart Nelson and the interfaith origins of the civil rights movement / Dennis C. Dickerson -- The significance of multicultural churches in Britain : a case study of Crofton Park Baptist Church / Israel Oluwole Olofinjana -- Churches, multiculturalism, and justice in Canada : an Anglican perspective / Sonia Hinds -- The changing demographics of global Christianity : the case of West African immigrants within the Pacific Southwest Mennonite Conference in the Mennonite Church, United States / Olufemi A. Fatunmbi -- Balancing Christianity, culture, and race : African origin in Germany / Benjamin Butticci -- Identity and ecumenical partnership of churches of African origin in Germany / Benjamin Simon -- Ministry as bridge building : facilitating culturally diverse faith communities in South Africa / Wessel Bentley -- The language of "diversity" in reconstructing whiteness in the Dutch Reformed Church / Cobus van Wyngaard -- A multicultural theology of difference : a practical theological perspective / Gordon E. Dames -- London's burning : riots, gangs, and moral formation of young people / R. David Muir -- Life-giving assets at a Johannesburg informal settlement : black faith and the false gods of multiculturalism in the twenty-first century / Vuani S. Bellem -- Inspired hymns as a belief system in the Kimbanguist Church : a revelation of the meanings of blackness / Aurelien Mokoko Gampiot -- Whose black church? Voices of oppression and resistance in response to the murder of a "gay" black teenager / Gayle R. Baldwin -- Black church, moral panic, and the empowerment of black youth in the era of hip-hop / Michael Brandon McCormack.
- Christianity's numerical, cultural, and political predominance within Europe, North America, and the former colonial capitals of Africa has been challenged in recent decades by reconfigured social dynamics and demographics within these contexts. As large numbers of persons from Africa, Asia, and Latin America have migrated to Europe and North America, these contexts once deeply rooted in white Christian identity are being racially and religiously transformed, with embodiments and articulations of increased social difference viewed as an indicator of either healthy diversities or harmful divisions--depending upon the vantage point. Churches, Blackness, and Contested Multiculturalism assesses contemporary church responses to multicultural diversity and resisted categories of social difference, with a central focus on whether or how racial, ethnic, sexual, and gander differences are validated by churches (and especially black churches) torn between competing inclusive and exclusive tendencies. (Back cover).
- Kyrkan (sao)
- Etnicitet (sao)
- Kulturell mångfald (sao)
- Sociala skillnader (sao)
- Ethnicity (LCSH)
- Church (LCSH)
- Diversity in the workplace (LCSH)
- Diversity in the workforce (LCSH)
- Multiculturalism (LCSH)
- Europa (sao)
- Afrika (sao)
- BT82.7 (LCC)
- 270.83 (DDC)
- Cj.6 (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit