Ledger narratives : the Plains Indian drawings of the Lansburgh Collection at Dartmouth College / edited by Colin G. Calloway.
Calloway, Colin G. (Colin Gordon), 1953- (redaktör/utgivare)
Hood Museum of Art
Verk som ingår i eller hör samman med denna titel
- Szabo, Joyce M. : Battles, courting, and changing lives : the Mark Lansburgh collection.
- ISBN 9780806142975
- First [edition].
- Publicerad: Norman : University of Oklahoma Press, 
- Engelska 283 pages
Serie: New directions in Native American studies ; v. 8
- Battles, courting, and changing lives : the Mark Lansburgh collection / Joyce M. Szabo -- Striving for recognition : ledger drawings and the construction and maintenance of social status during the reservation period / Michael Paul Jordan -- Illustrating encounter : trade, travel, and warfare in Southern Plains ledger drawing, 1875-1880 / Jenny Tone-Pah-Hote -- Unsettling accounts : the violent economies of the ledger / Melanie Benson Taylor -- New geographies and surveying eyes : the landscapes of Noh-hu-nah-wih (Chief Killer) / Mary Peterson Zundo -- Tracing the schoolhouse/big house legacy : ledger art and prison work / Vera B. Palmer -- Reconstructing history from a fragmented past / Joyce M. Szabo -- Appendix: Ledger drawings in the Mark Lansburgh collection / compiled by Deborah T. Haynes.
- "The largest known collection of ledger art ever acquired by one individual is Mark Lansburgh’s diverse assemblage of more than 140 drawings, now held by the Hood Museum of Art at Dartmouth College and catalogued in this important book. The Cheyennes, Crows, Kiowas, Lakotas, and other Plains peoples created the genre known as ledger art in the mid-nineteenth century. Before that time, these Indians had chronicled the heroic achievements of their warriors and chiefs on rock, buffalo robes, and tipi covers. As they came into increasing contact with American traders, the artists recorded their experiences in pencil and crayon drawings on paper bound in ledger or account books. The drawings became known as ledger art. This volume presents in full color the Lansburgh collection in its entirety. The drawings are narratives depicting Plains lifeways through Plains eyes. They include landscapes and scenes of battle, hunting, courting, ceremony, incarceration, and travel by foot, horse, train, and boat. Ledger art also served to prompt memories of horse raids and heroic exploits in battle. In addition to showcasing the Lansburgh collection, Ledger Narratives augments the growing literature on this art form by providing seven new essays that suggest some of the many stories the drawings contain and that look at them from innovative perspectives. The authors—scholars of art history, anthropology, history, and Native American studies—touch on such themes as gender, social status, sovereignty, tribal and intertribal politics, economic exchange, and confinement and space in a changing world. The Lansburgh collection includes some of the most arresting examples of Plains Indian art, and the essays in this volume help us see and hear the multiple narratives these drawings relate"--Publisher's website.
- Konst av amerikanska urfolk (sao)
- Präriefolken (sao)
- Konstsamlingar (sao)
- Konstsamlare (sao)
- Berättande konst (sao)
- Indian ledger drawings -- Great Plains -- Catalogs. (LCSH)
- Drawing -- New Hampshire -- Hanover -- Catalogs. (LCSH)
- Indians of North America -- Great Plains. (LCSH)
- Drawing. (fast)
- Indian ledger drawings. (fast)
- Indians of North America. (fast)
- Art -- Private collections. (fast)
- Narrative art (LCSH)
- Art museums (LCSH)
- Indian art (LCSH)
- Great Plains. (fast)
- New Hampshire -- Hanover. (fast)
- Utställningskataloger (saogf)
- Catalogs. (fast)
- Lansburgh, Mark -- Art collections -- Catalogs.
- Lansburgh, Mark.
- Hood Museum of Art -- Catalogs.
- Hood Museum of Art.
- E78.G73 (LCC)
- E78.G73 (LCC)
- E78.G73 (LAC)
- 741.089/97078 (DDC)
- Ig (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Etnografiska museet, Biblioteket Etnografiska museet (Emb)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Placering: Utställningskataloger : Hanover, New Hampshire : Hood Museum of Art, Dartmouth College : 2010