Mixed-methods research : investigating communication strategies in teacher talk / Mohammad Reza Anani Sarab.
Anani Sarab, Mohammad Reza (författare)
- ISBN 9781526424846
- Publicerad: London : SAGE Publications Ltd, 2017
- Engelska 1 online resource.
Serie: SAGE Research Methods. Cases
- Relaterad länk:
http://methods.sagep... (Table of Contents / Abstracts) (SAGE Research Methods)
- This case study relates to my PhD research which I undertook at the University of Leeds between 1998 and 2003 to examine classroom interaction in second/foreign language classes. The aim was to analyze teacher and student talk to find out how communication takes place between a native speaker/non-native speaker teacher and limited proficiency language learners. As this type of asymmetrical interaction was the focus of two strands of research?the study of communication strategies used by learners to compensate for their linguistic problems in production and the study of discourse level interactional modifications used in meaning negotiation between native and non-native speakersmy first and foremost challenge was to integrate these two strands of research empirically. The case unravels the methodological complexities of integrating an exploratory qualitative phase intended to categorize the phenomenon under study with a quantitative phase to validate the category system. This case presentation shows the potential of mixed-methods research in extending the researcher's outlook and toolkit in capturing and authenticating classroom interaction categories considered critical in integrating pedagogy and communication consistent with instructional goals.
- Mixed methods research -- Case studies. (LCSH)
- Multicultural education -- Research -- Case studies. (LCSH)
- H62 (LCC)
- 300.72 (DDC)
- O:b (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Malmö universitetsbibliotek, E-resurser (Maud)Ange som favorit
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Online access for MAU) (SAGE Research Methods Cases Part 2) (fulltext)